Cincinnati DUI Attorney
DUI & DWI Attorney
Due to social pressures, the Ohio legislature has continually increased DUI penalties—making it more difficult for attorneys to defend clients in DUI cases. Thomas R. Koustmer, Cincinnati DUI attorney has represented DUI clients throughout Ohio for thirty years.
Providing a DUI defense
As troublesome as a DUI/DWI charge may be for a defendant, it is equally problematic for prosecutors. Evidence used in DUI cases are in part scientific, but also involve common sense and the involved parties’ judgment. For example, police officers are required to follow very specific procedures in DUI cases—failure to do so can result in reduced or dismissed charges. However, the average person does not have the knowledge or understanding of Ohio DUI laws and is left at an extreme disadvantage without skilled legal representation.
Thomas R. Koustmer, criminal attorney in Cincinnati, works with clients to determine the facts of the case. He examines the evidence against you including:
- Arrest reports
- Police reports
- Breathalyzer reports
- Video tapes
When necessary, Mr. Koustmer can visit the scene and employ specialists like medical experts and accident reconstructionists to help in your defense. A thorough review of the evidence and facts of your case enables Mr. Koustmer to file effective motions and/or to negotiate with prosecutors on your behalf.
DUI criminal defense in Ohio
Despite the facts and circumstances of your case, there are effective defense strategies skilled criminal defense law firms in Cincinnati can use, including:
- Defendant was not under the influence
- Defendant was improperly stopped by police
- Police lacked probable cause to justify an arrest
- Police lacked jurisdiction to make the arrest
- Arrest was the result of illegal search and seizure
- Defendant’s constitutional rights were violated
- Other affirmative/entrapment defense strategies
If you are convicted of a DUI you can suffer serious consequences including:
- License suspension—6 months to 5 years
- Heavy monetary fines—$200 to $10,000
- Jail time—3 days to 18 months
- Possible felony charges
- Criminal offense on your record
- Community service participation
- Probationary lifestyle restrictions
- Participation in drug/alcohol treatment program
Cincinnati criminal attorneys can help
If charged with a DUI, you need seasoned DUI attorneys in Cincinnati at your side. Call 513-621-3616 or contact Thomas R. Koustmer online today and schedule a consultation to discuss your DUI case.